Tuesday 24 September 2013

The War of Art

A part of myself every day wishes I'd started taking photography seriously, a lot sooner. Or at least, wished that I'd actually given it a bit of a go. Years of self-doubt held me down underwater, I was drowning in my own criticism. Almost any artist, any real artist, someone with a thoughtful, artistic mind, can relate to this. It is only when you finally manage to pull yourself up, dry yourself off, and start working- that you start to create something that is special to you. 

A friend once said to me, and has said to me multiple times- 'Shoot what you want, and the right work will come to you.'

So yesterday I did just that. 

PS. Anyone who has ever been drowning, I implore you to seek out Steven Pressfield's 'The War of Art'

“Are you paralyzed with fear? That’s a good sign. Fear is good. Like self-doubt, fear is an indicator. Fear tells us what we have to do. Remember one rule of thumb: the more scared we are of a work or calling, the more sure we can be that we have to do it.” ~ Steven Pressfield





No comments:

Post a Comment